Heating Grants

Households who meet certain criteria can claim up to 100% of the cost of replacing inefficient electric storage heaters. Grants are also available for air-source heat pump installations.

Affordable Warmth and the ECO Scheme

ECO4 (Energy Company Obligation) is a government energy efficiency scheme that aims to reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty.

The scheme obliges energy suppliers to promote measures that help low income, fuel poor and vulnerable households to heat their homes, and with our with our Trustmark-approved experts, we can help you get started — free of charge!

Electric Storage Heater Grants

Replacement electric storage heaters are available via the ECO4 scheme in the form of a non-repayable grant that could cover up to 100% of the costs.

If you meet the benefits related criteria, and your home is currently heated by an electric storage heater system, you could qualify. It’s as simple as that!

Air-Source Heat Pumps

If your home has NEVER had a central heating system fitted before, as a homeowner or private tenant, you can apply for a grant to install an air-source heat pump. This part of ECO4 is called the ‘First Time Central Heating Grants Scheme’.

Here are some examples of heating systems that qualify for an upgrade:

  • Electric or inefficient storage heaters
  • Gas room heaters (including fixed mains gas types)
  • Gas or fossil fuel fires with back boilers
  • Mains gas warm air heating
  • Electric underfloor or ceiling heating
  • Bottled LPG room heating
  • Solid fossil fuel room heaters
  • Wood/biomass or oil room heaters

If your home has central heating or an old gas boiler installed, you may still be eligible for a grant under the Boiler Upgrade Scheme.

Do You Qualify for a Government Grant?

There are several grants available to Isle of Wight residents, and each has specific eligibility criteria. 

Generally speaking, you’ll need to be receiving certain benefits OR have a gross annual household income of less than £31,000 before housing costs (benefits count towards this figure).

You’ll also need to own or rent a property with a poor Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating (typically D, E, F, or G ). Unfortunately, we can’t assist Council or Housing Association tenants.

Landlords could be entitled to a grant if their tenants are eligible. Those not on benefits but deemed by the local authority to be on a low income or vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home could also qualify.

Eligible Benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit (PCGC)
  • Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit Savings Credit (PCSC),
  • Child Benefit

Need More Advice on Heating Upgrades?

If you’d like to chat about grants or have any questions about home heating, call us today on 01983 632662, or head to our contact page to send an email.